Friday, March 6, 2015

Rosy Ribbon Yarn Crochet Scarf


March is National Crochet Month and since I haven't shared any crochet projects lately, I thought this was a perfect time to share this scarf pattern using ribbon yarn that you can whip up in no time.

I found this Red Heart Ribbon Yarn, in rosebud, on sale (big surprise, I know) and wasn't sure what to do with it. I've never used ribbon yarn before. Have you seen the big ruffle scarves that people make with the wider yarn? I tried that, hoping that it would be a little less ruffly since it wasn't as wide, but it was still a bit too much for me.

The yarn was too big to just crochet with using a standard size crochet hook, so I pulled out my big Q hook and really love how it turned out. The width of the yarn forms little ruffles that make it look like frilly petals I think.

I made this scarf with one skein, and attached a button so it works as a short scarf or a cowl. Keep in mind that the scarf will stretch a bit, but you could easily make it longer by adding another skein.

The pattern is a cinch and the only stitches used are a chain stitch and a half double crochet. BONUS: The yarn is very forgiving if your stitches aren't just perfect :)

If you've not worked with this yarn before there are a couple things you need to do before you get to stitching. It's not a regular, center pull skein, so first you need to take it from the wrapper and open it up.
Then you need to cut the threads that hold the layers together.
At this point you can either roll the yarn into a ball or crochet from the layers as they're laying on a flat surface. I chose to roll mine into a ball. That ended up taking longer than making the scarf ;) so do what you're most comfortable with.

You'll crochet with this just like any other yarn, don't worry about messing with the lace/mesh edges. Just hold it together and once you get started the size of the hook will keep it in place.

Directions:

Chain 8.

Row 1: Half double crochet (hdc) in 3rd stitch from hook and in the remaining 5 chains across. Chain 2 and turn. (Counts as 1st hdc of next row.)

Row 2: Hdc in top of 2nd hdc and in top of remaining 4 hdc.

Chain 2 and repeat Row 2 until the scarf is as long as you'd like it

Fasten off, weaving in the ends.

Attach 1 large button, which will slip easily between the stitches, and you're done.

I told you it was easy! It would make a great gift, don't you think? Or a perfect accessory to add to your own wardrobe? You can also find my easy crochet hat pattern here.


I hope you found this pattern useful. Let me know how it turns out for you in the comments below.

Thanks for stopping by,
Terri

If you want to know what I'm up to, sign up for email notifications (no spam, just my posts). Enter your email in the box on the upper right side of this page. If you're on mobile, you'll have to open the web version to sign up.

You can also follow me on Pinterest, and Twitter.





8 comments:

  1. I haven't crocheted in several months. Now I can't wait to try your pattern out (the scarf would make great gifts). Thanks for sharing at the This Is How We Roll Link Party on Organized 31.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go through those phases too. I don't crochet for awhile, and then I can't put it down :) The scarf does make a great gift, my friend just loved it. It's really quick and easy, but really looks and feels great.

      Delete
  2. This scarf looks so neat! I haven't tried the Ribbon Yarn yet but keep thinking about it every time I walk by. Now, I have a basis to start from.
    I would love if you shared this at our Yarn Fanatic Link Party - http://eyeloveknots.blogspot.com/2015/03/yarn-fanatic-linky-party-26.html.
    Alexandra
    EyeLoveKnots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks :) I've tried other patterns, but they were just too ruffly for me. Using the big hook really takes advantage of the wide yarn and gives it a different look.

      Delete
    2. I will make a note of that now! Thanks.
      And thank you for partying with us! I hope you'll stop by real soon to party with us again.
      #27 is live - http://eyeloveknots.blogspot.com/2015/03/yarn-fanatic-linky-party-27.html
      Will be sharing this scarf with my Facebook fans on Saturday morning.
      Alexandra
      EyeLoveKnots.blogspot.com
      Facebook.com/EyeLoveKnots

      Delete
  3. I'm loving this! Pinned and tweeted. I hope to see you tonight at 7 at our party. I can't wait! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete