- Coffee filters (I used round, but the cone filters would work too.)
- Scissors or paper punches
- Watercolor paints
- Paint brush
- (optional) brads, rubber stamps, stamp pad, heat gun, embellishments
1. Cut or punch your coffee filters into various shapes. I used punches for some (scalloped circle, butterfly and heart.) I just snipped off the left over pieces for others, including an oval shape which was supposed to be a circle but....well....it turned into an oval. It'll work :) ***If you're using a paper punch, be sure to have at least 4 layers to cut through or they'll get stuck. I can tell you this from experience.
2. Attach 4-5 layers of your flowers together using glue or brads.
3. Paint with watercolors. To show you how simple this really is I used my son's art set watercolors. You can wet down the flowers with water using your paintbrush and then add color or just use your color right on the flower. Play with it a little to see what you like. If you paint the edges and then add water the colors will bleed a little giving you a nice effect.
4. Let your flowers dry or use a heat gun to speed up the process. Either way, when they dry the filters get kind of rough and crinkly then they're perfect for the next step.
5. Scrunch those flowers!! No need to be gentle, those coffee filters are tough. Ball them up, smoosh them down, shape them into your flower.
6. Fold and/or cut your cardstock into your preferred shape. Add a little background paper, stamp your sentiment, and get any embellishments (stickers, rhinestones, feathers, etc.) together.
7. Glue your card together. Here's a neat tutorial for the little pop out banner that I added to the #thinkingofyou card.
8. ADMIRE YOUR CREATION! Then maybe smoosh the flowers a little more to get them just right ;)
Do you use around the house or non-traditional items to in your craft projects? Please share your favorite ideas in the comments below.
Thanks for stopping by,